Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have written this one as pear, Roquefort and rosemary, but you can use any fruit based filling you want. Your only limitation is your imagination. Apples, cinnamon, cloves, sugar Blueberries, lemon juice, sugar Mangos, lime juice You can just arrange the cold fruit, sprinkle with sugar, spice, juice,etc and cook. You could even use a plain or 5" fluted cutter and make individual ones.
- 2 egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 9 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 3⁄4 ounces salted butter
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- extra rosemary (to garnish)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put the blue cheese into a bowl and lightly crush or mash it. Add the whisked egg whites and the creme fraiche. Add salt and black pepper to taste and mix it to a coarse paste. Set aside and then chill it.
- On silpat (or parchment) roll out one crust worth of dough an 11" circle and place on baking sheet (some of the dough may drape over the edge; this will be folded over the filling).
- Melt the butter in a shallow large pan & then add the pear slices, and about 3-4 tablespoons of water.
- Cook gently for about 6-8 minutes until the pears are tender but still holding their shape. Allow to cool.
- Arrange the pears over the chilled galettes in neatly overlapping circles and brush with a little melted butter.
- Sprinkle over the cumin seeds and a few extra rosemary leaves, season with salt and pepper and bring the edges of the pastry up and over the edge of the pears, to form a loose crust.
- Brush the tops of the galettes & the pastry with the beaten egg yolks & milk mixture.
- Bake galettes in preheated 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool about 10 minutes before serving.