Recipe by Debber
First time I had this was during "Indian Taco" day for hot lunch at the school where I was a teacher on the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana. This was served at all the pow-wows out there! A friend's mother gave me her recipe; they make it for a church fund-raiser in Rapid City, South Dakota. GREAT FOR O.A.M.C. PLANNED OVERS!
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
The Rest of the Story
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups warm water
- 8 1⁄2 cups flour (set aside 1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the sponge items in a large bowl; then let "sponge" for 15 minutes or so until foamy.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients in another bowl, and alternate adding dry stuff and water to the first mixture, allowing mixer to work ingredients before adding more.
- WARNING: You may need the extra cup of flour--the dough should NOT be sticky when finished.
- Knead the dough, working in the remaining flour as you knead.
- Grease a large glass or plastic bowl; shape dough into a large ball, place in bowl--turning to grease all sides; cover loosely with plastic and place in a warm place; let rise until doubled.
- Heat about a half-inch of oil in a large frying pan (375 - 400 degrees).
- While the oil heats, remove dough from bowl and divide into 4 balls. Each ball will make one dozen (12) balls (so a total of 48 balls).
- Flatten each small ball into a thin disk (about 4 inches), make a little hole in the center of each. Keep a uniform shape, but these don't have to look "perfect.".
- Carefully drop into hot oil; fry until bottom is golden brown, flip with a spatula in one hand and a fork in the other to prevent oil from splashing out.
- SERVING IDEA #1: Lay bread on plate, cover with my Recipe #219826, grated cheese, topped with sour cream, lettuce, and olives for an "Indian Taco" (this is straight from the school lunch menu on an Indian Reservation!).
- SERVING IDEA #2: Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slather on some jam or marmalade.
- OAMC PLANNED OVERS: Use fresh for supper tonight, freeze ALL the leftovers in meal-size portions in plastic zipper bags.