Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted a couple french onion soups to create an original recipe. Friends and family often request me to make this soup. It's a huge hit everywhere I take it. It's super simple but super delicious. Often recipes list a wine and say that you can substitute another wine if you don't have the one listed. For this recipe, however, the Riesling wine is KEY to it's flavor. I strongly suggest sticking with it for this recipe.
- Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick.
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add onions and garlic; saute, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
- Stir in salt, pepper, paprika, worcestershire and bay leafs.
- Pour in wine and all but one can of broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Mix flour in remaining 1 can broth.
- Stir into boiling soup.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1-2 hours.
- Serve with Fench bread and cheddar cheese (if desired) to top.