1/1 Photo of Sweet French Onion Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Blossom in Seattle's Note:
Adapted a couple french onion soups to create an original recipe. Friends and family often request me to make this soup. It's a huge hit everywhere I take it. It's super simple but super delicious. Often recipes list a wine and say that you can substitute another wine if you don't have the one listed. For this recipe, however, the Riesling wine is KEY to it's flavor. I strongly suggest sticking with it for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs onions (3 large)
- 0.667 (749 5/8 ml) bottle riesling wine
- 6 (12 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup flour
- salt or pepper
- French bread
- cheddar cheese (to top if desired)
- 1Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick.
- 2Melt butter in a large pot. Add onions and garlic; saute, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
- 3Stir in salt, pepper, paprika, worcestershire and bay leafs.
- 4Pour in wine and all but one can of broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- 5Mix flour in remaining 1 can broth.
- 6Stir into boiling soup.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1-2 hours.
- 8Serve with Fench bread and cheddar cheese (if desired) to top.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.2
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 2840.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 13.1 g