Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Is your fig tree overburdened? Try this delicious treat! This must stand 12 to 24 hours before canning.
- 4 quarts firm ripe figs (about 30)
- 5 cups sugar, divided
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cups vinegar
- Peel figs.
- (If unpeeled are preferred, pour boiling water over figs and let stand until cool; drain.) Add 3 cups sugar to water and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Add figs and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups sugar and vinegar.
- Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag; add to figs.
- Cook gently until figs are clear.
- Cover and let stand 12-24 hours in a cool place.
- Remove spice bag.
- Bring to simmer; pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust caps.
- Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in boiling water bath.
Very Very Very Good. I wish I had enough figs to make the full recipe. I cut it in half with no problem. I made 1 quart jar plus a couple extra for me which I made a baby green salad topped with these figs and goat cheese, drizzled the juice from the figs and drizzled some very light olive oil.Thank You for a wonderful recipe!
Great recipe....loved the touch of the cinnamon in the figs!!!!