Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Are these ever good! There's just something about Soul Food! It's made with such love and feeling. Soul food is the mother of comfort food. I hope you will enjoy. Cooking times are approximate.
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans salmon, juice reserved
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, seasoning*
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon jamaican allspice, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- Put both cans of salmon with the juice in a large bowl.Break the salmon up gently with a fork and remove all bones.
- Add peppers, onions, spices, and herbs and mix well.
- Gently mix in the eggs. Mix with your hands, add cornmeal and flour until the mixture holds together.
- Form the salmon mixture into patties and lightly sprinkle with cornmeal Coat the patties with the bread crumbs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the canola oil. When the oil is hot but not smoking, fry the croquettes until browned and heated through, turning once. Remove the croquettes from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- *Old Bay seasoning is a commercial mixture of cayenne, garlic,paprika, and sea salt. You can make your own by just mixing equal amounts of the ingredients. Keep tightly sealed.
These are so delicious, I made pretty much as stated with only a few amount adjustments, I subbed green onions for the yellow, and omitted the dried cilantro, I mixed up the ingredients and chilled for 6 hours which made handling easier, we loved this recipe Fluffster thank you for sharing hon, next time I am going to double the recipe!...Kitten
As much as I LOVE salmon croquettes, I have to stay away from fried foods as much as possible! Knowing my dear friend Fluff wouldn't mind if I varied a little, I chose to make this as a loaf so I could bake it! It was absolutely the best I've ever had! The added veggies allow for the needed moisture and the flavor is just wonderful! Thank you Luvie! I'll use this recipe often! Made for KK Chef's Pick Tag
My husband and I both really enjoyed these croquettes! I served with a rqnch type dressing and my husband had a mustard mayo sauce. Both great! Thanks! Made for KK's chef's pick game.