This recipe is courtesy of Sweet Dreams Bakery in Memphis --- I have made this cake using 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup buttermilk and it was still fantastic! --- it is advised to use only a high-quality baking cocoa powder for this it will make a huge taste difference --- no eggs in this cake, and it only gets better with age, you may make a day in advance cover with a cake dome and let stand at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1For the cake; set oven to 350°F.
- 2Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 3Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans or butter and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 4In a medium bowl sift first 5 ingredients into a medium bowl.
- 5In a large bowl mix the water, oil and vanilla, then whisk in dry ingredients until well blended.
- 6Divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- 7Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the batter in each pan.
- 8Bake cakes about 25-30 minutes or until they test done.
- 9Cool completely.
- 10For frosting; beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- 11Gradually beat in 3 cups confectioners sugar.
- 12Beat in 6 tablespoons milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- 13Add in sifted cocoa and remaining 2 cups confectioners sugar; beat until well blended (adding in more milk if needed to achieve desired consistency).
- 14Place 1 cake layer on a plate, chocolate chip side up, then spread about 2/3 cup frosting over the cake.
- 15Top with second cake layer chocolate chip side up, then spread 2/3 cup frosting over.
- 16Top with remaining cake layer chocolate chip side up, then spread frosting over sides and top of the cake.
- 17Decorate as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Dreams Bakery Chocolate Cake With Cocoa Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1231.5
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 623.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 190.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 142.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g