Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe is courtesy of Sweet Dreams Bakery in Memphis --- I have made this cake using 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup buttermilk and it was still fantastic! --- it is advised to use only a high-quality baking cocoa powder for this it will make a huge taste difference --- no eggs in this cake, and it only gets better with age, you may make a day in advance cover with a cake dome and let stand at room temperature.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk (I used half and half cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 3 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake; set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans or butter and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl sift first 5 ingredients into a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl mix the water, oil and vanilla, then whisk in dry ingredients until well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the batter in each pan.
- Bake cakes about 25-30 minutes or until they test done.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting; beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 3 cups confectioners sugar.
- Beat in 6 tablespoons milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Add in sifted cocoa and remaining 2 cups confectioners sugar; beat until well blended (adding in more milk if needed to achieve desired consistency).
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate, chocolate chip side up, then spread about 2/3 cup frosting over the cake.
- Top with second cake layer chocolate chip side up, then spread 2/3 cup frosting over.
- Top with remaining cake layer chocolate chip side up, then spread frosting over sides and top of the cake.
- Decorate as desired.