Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I never make this recipe without thinking of picking green beans on my Uncle's Farm. I think I ate more raw green beans than I put in the basket. This is my favorite pickled bean recipe. My daughter always called them "squeaky beans." When you bite them they squeak! NO KIDDING!!!!!!
- If necessary, trim ends of beans so they will just fit into pint jars when inserted lengthwise.
- Pare carrots and cut into sticks that are about the size of the beans.
- Into a large saucepan, turn the beans and the carrots; add enough boiling water so it comes up about 2 inches; bring to a boil; boil just until vegetables are tender--about 15 minutes; drain.
- Into a medium saucepan, put the sugar, vinegar, 2 cups water, and the dill; bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pack the beans and carrots lengthwise in 4 pint jars; cover with the hot sugar-vinegar mixture, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Place jars on a rack in a large pan, add hot water to cover jars by at least 1 inch.
- Bring water to a boil, then keep at a gentle, steady boil 20 minutes.
- Remove to cool.