This is my favorite refrigerator pickle, which keeps up to 4 weeks, covered airtight. But...you'll find that they sure don't last that long!
- Put the cucumbers, pepper, onions and salt in a quart bowl. Add very cold water to cover and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain in a colander and return the vegetables to the bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, vinegar, dill and mustard seed in a 1 quart non-aluminium pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the honey or sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. (You can create an ice bath by filling a pan or bowl with ice and then placing your pan with the vinegar mixture on top of the ice cubes. Stir until cooled.).
- Pour the cooled mixture over the cucumbers, tossing until combined well.
- Spoon cucumbers into a large wide mouth jar and cover tightly, placing it in the refrigerator for at least two days before using to allow flavors to meld.