1 hr 40 mins
Yes, it is some work, but well worth it for family or special friends. A different dessert to be sure.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml pine nuts
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml honey
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 295.73 ml masa harina
- 118.29 ml milk
- 14.79 ml ground mexican cinnamon (canela)
- 29.58 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml dried cherries
- 59.14 ml dried apricot
- 29.58 ml finely diced candied papaya
- 14.79 ml minced orange zest
- 10 large dried corn husks, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1To prepare the filling, place the pine nuts in a hot, dry skillet, toast over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned; set aside.
- 2Place the butter, baking powder, salt, honey, and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- 3Cream on high speed until light and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the masa harina and turn down the speed to low.
- 5Add the milk, canela, raisins, dried cherries, dried apricots, candied papaya, orange zest, and toasted pine nuts and mix until a firm dough forms.
- 6Work the dough by hand for about 1 minute, until the dough is thoroughly mixed.
- 7Divide into 8 equal pieces.
- 8Drain corn husks and shake dry.
- 9Tear 16 thin strips (about 1/8 inch wide) from 2 husks and set aside for tying the tamales.
- 10Lay out the remaining 8 corn husks.
- 11Take a portion of the dough, place in a corn husk and spread out evenly, leaving about 1-1/2 inches of exposed corn husk at each end and 3/4 inch at each side.
- 12Bring the sides of the corn husk together, folding the dough; tuck one side of the husk under the other and roll up the tamale so the dough is completely enclosed inside the husk.
- 13Twist each end and tie with the reserved strips of corn husk.
- 14Repeat for the remaining tamales.
- 15Steam the tamales for 30 to 35 minutes over lightly boiling water, adding more boiling water as needed.
- 16The tamales are done when they feel firm to the touch but are not hard and the dough comes away easily from the husk.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Dessert Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.4
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 203.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: