Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 mins
This recipe is from pastry chef Mindy Segal, owner of the Chicago restaurant, "Hot Chocolate". If you want, you can use this amazing filling with a less complicated dough.
- 1 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces butter, cubed (cold)
- 1⁄4 cup water (room temp)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (room temp)
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 3 tablespoons honey
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
- 2 tablespoons honey (clover or orange blossom)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (preferably natural cane sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Poppy Seed Streusel
- 4 ounces cubed cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- To Prepare Filling: Beat together cream cheese, honey and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, salt, and orange zest. Mix until cohesive.
- To Prepare Poppy Seed Streusel: Beat all ingredients on low speed until the mixture crumbles. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To Prepare Dough: In a mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients. Add cold, cubed butter with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for about 3 minutes or until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add all wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until dough forms a batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let set in a refrigerator overnight. After 24 hours remove dough from bowl and place on a well-floured surface. Flour the top of the dough and roll into a 12X4" rectangle. With the rectangle horizontal to you fold the right third of the dough over the left creating a letter fold. Wrap in plastic wrap and return to refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes. Repeat the letter fold technique two more times (alternating left, then right).After the third turn is complete let rest in refrigerator for 30 more minutes. Remove dough from refrigerator and place dough on well-floured surface and roll out to 1/4" thick, keeping it as close to a square as possible.
- Cut the Danish into 3" squares and place about 1 tablespoon of filling (filling recipe below) into the center of the square. Sprinkle the streusel (streusel recipe below) on top and bring corners into the center forming a pouch.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Brush dough with egg whites and sprinkle with more streusel. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and dust with powder sugar.