1/1 Photo of Sweet Curried Chicken, Yam and Apple Stew
My mother clipped this recipe decades ago and it has been a family favorite since. It's very flexible; you can use pork tenderloin instead of chicken thighs, sweet potatoes instead of yams, any kind of apple, most kinds of dried fruit, etc. The curry flavor is mild, add more if you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless (one package, or about 1.25 lbs)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick, of about 3-4 inches
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh coarse ground, more to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large yams (yams add a nice color) or 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed 1 inch
- 2 apples, any kind will do, cubed 1 inch
- 1/2 cup golden raisin (or black or currants or craisins, whatev)
- salt, to taste
- 1Trim the chicken thighs of excess fat and yucky stuff, cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- 2Dust the chicken with the flour ( shake them up in a plastic bag).
- 3Heat the butter or oil over medium high heat.
- 4Saute the sliced onion 2 minutes, add the garlic and stir up.
- 5Add the chicken, brown on all sides about 5 minutes.
- 6Add ginger, curry, cinnamon stick and pepper, saute 2 minutes.
- 7Add chicken broth, stir up any brown bits and bring to low boil.
- 8Add yams and apples return to low boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until yams are barely done.
- 9Add raisins, check seasoning, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- 10Serve over rice or with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Curried Chicken, Yam and Apple Stew
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 677.3
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 126.0 mg
- Sodium 524.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 31.6 g