Recipe by s c
My MIL shared this recipe with me 30 years ago and taught me how to can & freeze.This recipe is a family favorite & is being passed generation to generation. Don't let the process scare you,the pickles are well worth the effort. Delicious in potato or tuna salad. Great on burgers. I make a "pickle tray" for covered dish dinners and these are the first to go and they receive many compliments. I think people like them because they are crisp.
- 7 pints sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups pickling lime
- 4 lbs sugar
- 7 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- DO NOT use aluminum pot.
- Soak sliced cucmubers in lime water (use enough water to cover cucumbers) for 24 hours.
- Drain& rinse well.
- Soak cucumbers in ice water (use enough water to cover cucumbers) for 3 hours.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, salt& spices.
- Soak cucumbers in this mixture for 24 hours Bring mixture to a boil& cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Put in pint jars& seal.