Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Habichuelas con Dulce is one of Dominican's most cherished traditions. It is prepared in Easter in large quantities and shared with relatives and neighbors
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups red beans (boiled)
- 2 cups water (from the boiling beans)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cassava bread (may be omitted)
- 1⁄2 lb sweet potato
- 10 cloves
- Put the beans, the coconut milk and half the milk in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the milk, sugar, raisins and sweet potatoes and let boil medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid sticking. Add the rest of the ingredients and boil to the desired consistency.
- Spread butter on the cassava bread, sprinkle with salt and put in the oven until it turns golden brown.
- Serve the beans chilled with the cassava on the side. Put cookies on top of the beans.
- Found in Aunt Clara's Kitchen website.