Recipe by Studentchef
Latkes, and not just this kind, are traditionally served during the festive holiday of Chanukkah. This particular recipe was printed in the Montreal Gazette and was attributed to Jewish Holiday Feasts by Louise Fiszer and Jeannette Ferrary.
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, zest of
- oil (about 1/2 cup for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat cottage cheese, egg yolks, flour, sugar, cream salt and lemon zest until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the cheese mixture.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, heat oil until hot.
- Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons batter into the pan to form each latke. Fry until golden, about four minutes per side.
- Use more oil as needed. Drain latkes on paper towels and keep warm in a 250 degree F oven until ready to serve.