Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These delicious corn toasties are similar to the ones that used to be commercially made. Use non stick muffin-top pans for best results. I simply experimented to make this recipe
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, melted (do NOT use vegetable oil)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oranges or 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine milk, eggs, melted Crisco and honey in a large bowl.
- Place cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large sifter; sift the dry ingredients into the milk mixture.
- Add dried peel, if used.
- Stir until just blended.
- Spray sides and bottom of MUFFIN-TOP PANS with a vegetable cooking spray.
- Pour a little less than 1/4-cup of the mixture into each well of the pan.
- Do NOT ladle too much of the batter into the wells or they will be too thick to fit into the toaster.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375°.
- Remove the corn toasties from the pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- Pop into a toaster when ready to serve.