Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These delicious corn toasties are similar to the ones that used to be commercially made. Use non stick muffin-top pans for best results. I simply experimented to make this recipe
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, melted (do NOT use vegetable oil)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oranges or 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine milk, eggs, melted Crisco and honey in a large bowl.
- Place cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large sifter; sift the dry ingredients into the milk mixture.
- Add dried peel, if used.
- Stir until just blended.
- Spray sides and bottom of MUFFIN-TOP PANS with a vegetable cooking spray.
- Pour a little less than 1/4-cup of the mixture into each well of the pan.
- Do NOT ladle too much of the batter into the wells or they will be too thick to fit into the toaster.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375°.
- Remove the corn toasties from the pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- Pop into a toaster when ready to serve.