Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use the largest measure of sugar.
Make and share this Sweet Cornbread With Savory Variations recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 29.58 ml sugar, add up to 1/3 cup
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2 large eggs
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml butter, cooled and melted or 54.43 g margarine
- In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).
- Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula.
- Serve hot or cool.
- Variations: Vary-the-Corn Bread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread, but instead of yellow cornmeal, use 1 cup polenta, dehydrated masa flour (corn tortilla flour), or stone-ground cornmeal. Double Red Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread adding 1 tbs. hot or sweet Hungarian paprika or regular paprika to flour mixture. To egg mixture, add 3/4 cup chopped canned roasted red peppers. Increase baking time to 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven). Basil-Parmesan Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread. To egg mixture, add 1 can (8 1/2 oz.) cream-style corn, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Increase baking time to 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven). Curry Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread adding 1 1/2 tbs. curry powder to flour mixture. Southwest Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread. To egg mixture, add 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies and 3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese. Combine 1 tbs. each sugar and chili powder; sprinkle over batter in pan. Habanero Surprise Muffins. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread, completing step 1. Spoon half the batter equally into 12 buttered 2 1/2-inch muffin cups. Top each portion with 2 teaspoons habanero or jalapeno jelly (1/2 cup total). Fill cups equally with remaining batter. Bake in a 400 degree oven until muffins spring back when lightly pressed in center and are lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 12.