Tracey Edwards's Note:
Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use the largest measure of sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
- 3Bake in a 400-degree oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).
- 4Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula.
- 5Serve hot or cool.
- 6Variations: Vary-the-Corn Bread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread, but instead of yellow cornmeal, use 1 cup polenta, dehydrated masa flour (corn tortilla flour), or stone-ground cornmeal. Double Red Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread adding 1 tbs. hot or sweet Hungarian paprika or regular paprika to flour mixture. To egg mixture, add 3/4 cup chopped canned roasted red peppers. Increase baking time to 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven). Basil-Parmesan Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread. To egg mixture, add 1 can (8 1/2 oz.) cream-style corn, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Increase baking time to 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven). Curry Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread adding 1 1/2 tbs. curry powder to flour mixture. Southwest Cornbread. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread. To egg mixture, add 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies and 3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese. Combine 1 tbs. each sugar and chili powder; sprinkle over batter in pan. Habanero Surprise Muffins. Follow directions for Savory or Sweet Cornbread, completing step 1. Spoon half the batter equally into 12 buttered 2 1/2-inch muffin cups. Top each portion with 2 teaspoons habanero or jalapeno jelly (1/2 cup total). Fill cups equally with remaining batter. Bake in a 400 degree oven until muffins spring back when lightly pressed in center and are lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 12.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Cornbread With Savory Variations
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.5
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 380.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g