- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Spray 2 muffin tins with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl or saucepan, melt the butter.
- Whisk the egg lightly while the butter cools a bit, then add the egg, milk, and vanilla extract to the butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the mixed liquid, stirring lightly until just blended. Don't over-mix because the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes, until the muffins have risen, are golden-brown and springy to the touch.
- Pop out of the tins and let cool a bit before serving.