Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This tastes like the cornbread my gramma and mom make that's why I like it. It's a sweet cornbread but because you use brown sugar (we prefer dark brown.) it's a 'richer' sweet then white sugar...hope that makes sense! You can add corn to it if you wish. This is bread machine compatible to! Just follow your machines directions for the correct order of ingredients.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned milk
- 1⁄4 cup of melted butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup corn (If you are using the creamed corn in the above step then use only 1/4 cup of whole kernel ) (optional)
- BREAD MACHINE: Add all ingredients to your bread machine pan in the order directed by your machines manual. I cook on the 'Quick Bread' setting also set for a 'medium' crust. Have been told that is equivalent to 'Cake' setting set for 'light' crust on some machines.
- OVEN BAKE: Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Add corn last (if using) and mix in by hand. Pour equally into two loaf pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- This makes a 2 pound loaf for bread machine.
I made this cornbread yesterday and it definitely beats the pants off my old recipe! This bread is pleasingly sweet without being too sweet. Also, the texture is very nice--it's just right! Although the recipe doesn't specify, use unsalted butter and it will come out perfect. Oh and by "canned" milk, the author of the recipe means evaporated milk, by the way, not condensed (I asked). Anyway, this is my new favorite cornbread recipe! I can't wait til tomorrow morning so I can have another slice, warmed in the microwave, topped with butter. Yumm!!
I found this to be very wet in my breadmaker. I had to try to finish baking it in the oven. It tasted very good once it was coked all the way. I would recommend altering this recipe some.
I made this tonight and it turned out amazing (I posted my pic!). I chose to use the cream-style corn instead of the butter and/or olive oil and instead of using an additional 1/4 cup of corn, I added a 1/4 cup of cream-style corn. Thank you for posting.