Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm such a lover of cornbread, that I couldn't pass up this version. Another wonderful recipe from her book "Friday Night Dinners". Bonnie writes that "she received this recipe from executive chef Anthony Rose of Toronto's Drake Hotel". Very easy and flavourful. She also mentions that the follow may be added: diced olives, sun-dried tomatoes or fresh herbs. We enjoyed the plain version very much. Easily halved and baked in a 9 x 9 pan.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (see note below) or 2 1⁄2 cups soymilk (see note below)
- 1 cup corn kernel, grilled (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Add egg mixture to the large bowl and combine. Add corn and jalapeno, if using. Stir until all ingredients are moistened.
- Transfer batter to an oiled 13 x 9 baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350*F oven for 35 minutes, or until bread springs back when pressed in center or a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before cutting.
- NOTE: If using Soy Milk, sour by adding 1 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice and let stand for 10 minutes before adding.