Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is our standby for cornbread, we use NO others. It does have a bit more sugar than normal, but it is oh so good.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar,and baking powder together. Add egg, vanilla, milk and oil.
- Beat until just smooth, do not over beat!
- Pour batter into a greased 8 inch square pan or a cast iron pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Flavorful and moist cornbread! Subbed half whole wheat flour for the all-purpose and made into 11 heart shaped muffins to go with our soup tonight. Probably have the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow!
Very good cornbread. This is the first time I've made cornbread with brown sugar. Nice change we topped ours with butter and honey to go with our chicken corn chowder. Thank you for posting Billiebcc!
Wow! this is good! I made as posted except I did add the brown sugar in step 2 with the other dry ingredients. For some reason it wasn't listed. :) I also just mixed everything together for about 20 strokes. That way I didn't have to clean my mixer. What a surprise to find vanilla in this recipe. ???That's a first??? Normally you get to add some salt. But I have to admit that it adds a nice sweet touch. We really like our corn bread on the sweet side. In fact we have been known to serve it with honey. This is an absolutely awesome recipe. thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2009 :)