Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is our standby for cornbread, we use NO others. It does have a bit more sugar than normal, but it is oh so good.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar,and baking powder together. Add egg, vanilla, milk and oil.
- Beat until just smooth, do not over beat!
- Pour batter into a greased 8 inch square pan or a cast iron pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
My wife and I have been looking for a good cornbread recipe for awhile, and we have finally found it. Very moist, flavorful and just all around yummy. If we could give it six stars, we would.
Flavorful and moist cornbread! Subbed half whole wheat flour for the all-purpose and made into 11 heart shaped muffins to go with our soup tonight. Probably have the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow!
Very good cornbread. This is the first time I've made cornbread with brown sugar. Nice change we topped ours with butter and honey to go with our chicken corn chowder. Thank you for posting Billiebcc!