Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I know there are tons of corn bread recipes already posted -- and I've tried a couple that are outstanding. This is my old stand-by.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- In a bowl. combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 8" square baking pan.
- Bake at 400F for 20-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
This recipe was not as sweet as I expected and was also a bit dry.
Was very good - nice taste and texture. Not overly crumbly as many cornbreads tend to be. The only change I made was to put the buttered pan in the oven while it pre-heated. Adding the batter to a hot pan gives it a nice, thin crust, similar to what you'd have if you made it in a cast iron skillet (the traditional method).
Not the sweet smooth textured corn bread I was hoping for...somewhat mealy...I'll keep looking, Thanks for posting.