Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Originally from the July 2002 Southern Living, this sounds delicious. Save two of the corn cobs to simmer with the broth to enhance the flavor.
- 1⁄3 cup salt pork, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 cups sweet corn, fresh, removed from cob (about 6 ears, save two cobs)
- 4 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 corn cobs
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- fresh cilantro stem
- Render salt pork in a Dutch oven over medium heat; remove pork, and reserve for another use.
- Add butter to pork drippings; whisk in cornmeal, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Add celery and next 4 ingredients; saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth and corncobs; Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard corncobs.
- Stir in crab meat and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Garnish, if desired with fresh cilantro stems.