Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Originally from the July 2002 Southern Living, this sounds delicious. Save two of the corn cobs to simmer with the broth to enhance the flavor.
- 1⁄3 cup salt pork, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 cups sweet corn, fresh, removed from cob (about 6 ears, save two cobs)
- 4 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 corn cobs
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- fresh cilantro stem
Directions See How It's Made
- Render salt pork in a Dutch oven over medium heat; remove pork, and reserve for another use.
- Add butter to pork drippings; whisk in cornmeal, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Add celery and next 4 ingredients; saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth and corncobs; Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard corncobs.
- Stir in crab meat and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Garnish, if desired with fresh cilantro stems.