1/3 Photos of Sweet Corn Risotto
This recipe is best using sweet corn picked fresh from the garden or from your local farmer's market. In the winter months you can make this dish with canned corn and it is still very good. Adapted from The New Vegetarian Epicure.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ears fresh-picked sweet corn or 2 1/2 cups canned corn
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 -8 cups delicate vegetable broth (or chicken broth may be substituted)
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1(NOTE: If using canned corn, skip this step.) Husk and wash corn and peel away all the silk, then slice the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife. You should have about 2 1/2 cups corn kernels.
- 2Spin about a cup of the kernels in a food processor or blender until they are roughly chopped and milky. Scrape out the chopped corn and remix with the remaining whole kernels.
- 3In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil and butter with a pinch of salt until it is translucent and tender.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan heat the vegetable broth and regulate the flame to keep it just below a simmer.
- 5When onions are soft, add the Arborio rice to the soup pot and stir it gently with a wooden spoon for two minutes. Next add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
- 6Add a soup ladle of the heated broth and all the corn kernels to the rice and stir, keep it just at a simmer. Keep stirring until the broth is nearly all absorbed into the rice, then add another ladle.
- 7Continue with this process for 25 more minutes (TIP: Set timer now)-- adding a little broth at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon fairly frequently, for around 25 minutes or until the rice is al dente. It should form a creamy sauce around grains that are no longer crunchy but still firm.
- 8When the rice is just achieving this perfect balance of tender-firmness, stir in the last ladle of broth, the Parmesan cheese, and 2 Tbsp of chopped parsley.
- 9It is ready to serve!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Corn Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 217.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: