Recipe by Tantric1
I loved the sweet corn cake that was always served as a side dish with my favorite Tex Mex dishes when visiting the Southwest so... I have looked around, modified it, tweeked here and there to come up with this recipe. I make this disha nd serve with my Sour Cream Chicken Enchildadas, refried beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. So incredibly YUMMY! I almost always DOUBLE this recipe, and cook for about 55 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 10 ounces corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter and shortening in mixer bowl and whip until soft. Continue whipping until fluffy and creamy. Add masa gradually while mixing, add water gradually and mix thoroughly.
- Place corn kernels in blender or food processor fitted with metal blade coarsely chop. Stir into the masa harina mixture. Place (regular) cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl and mix quickly. Add masa mixture and mix lightly, just until blended. Pour into greased, 8-inch-square baking pan, and cover with foil.
- Method 1: Bake in 350-degree oven 40 to 50 minutes or until corn cake has a firm texture.
- Method 2: Place corn cake pan in a larger pan and pour boiling water half way up corn cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 50 minutes, checking water level and adding more boiling water, if necessary. When cooked through, remove corn cake pan from water.
- Let cooked cake stand at room temperature for few minutes before cutting into squares or using a small ice cream scoop to serve.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator.