Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Adobo Road Cookbook" by Marvin Gapultos. The perfect ending to a perfect Filipino supper.
- 1 cup fresh sweet white corn kernels (see note)
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Note: About 1 ear of corn. If fresh corn isn't in season or unavailable, you can use 1 cup of frozen corn kernels or omit the corn altogether for a completely smooth panna cotta.
- Combine the corn kernels, coconut milk, cream, and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture just begins to bubble. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the cold water into a large bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour the warm coconut milk mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Evenly divide the panna cotta mixture between six ramekins or glasses. Cover each panna cotta with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight until completely firm.
- Prior to serving, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread the shredded coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet. Place the coconut in the oven and toast until golden brown, stirring once, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the panna cotta from the refrigerator and uncover. Serve each panna cotta garnished with the toasted coconut.