Recipe by Jenn from New Orleans S
This was an attempt to replicate a pasta salad from one of my favorite restaurants. It actually came out better, according to those who compared them. You can add your favorite ingredients. I have never made it with garlic, but included it in the recipe anyhow.
Top Review by jessie'smom in Suffolk, England
I really love this recipe! It's light, sweet and flavorful without being overpowering. Adding the seasonings to taste after combining all the other ingredients first makes this a easy recipe to adapt to individual preferences. Mine was a little different because I didn't have pamentos; and because I love onions, I added some thinly sliced red onions to the bell peppers and sauted them together. Very good!!!
- 1 (12 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 2 (4 ounce) jars pimientos, drained
- 3 -4 small sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- chopped celery, about 6 inches
- chopped dried leaf basil (not powdered)
- chopped oregano (not powdered)
- onion powder
- minced garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Start boiling water for pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While water is heating, you can proceed with the next step.
- In a skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat, and add all of the sliced bell peppers, stirring continuously for about 5 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Set aside to cool.
- Drain pasta in cold water for a couple of minutes, until cool.
- Place in a medium-sized Tupperware-type container and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cider vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Then mix in olive oil and vegetable oil.
- Add the liquid mixture to the pasta.
- Then mix in all of the bell peppers, black olives, pimientos, sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and chopped celery.
- Add to taste: dash of onion powder, salt, basil leaf, oregano, and minced garlic (if desired).
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. Best if refrigerated over night. Sometimes pasta will absorb the dressing, so you may want to add a little extra vinegar and oil before serving.
- Note: You can adjust the amounts of sugar, vinegar, and oil to your desired taste.