Jenn from New Orleans S's Note:
This was an attempt to replicate a pasta salad from one of my favorite restaurants. It actually came out better, according to those who compared them. You can add your favorite ingredients. I have never made it with garlic, but included it in the recipe anyhow.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 2 (4 ounce) jars pimientos, drained
- 3 -4 small sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- chopped celery, about 6 inches
- chopped dried leaf basil (not powdered)
- chopped oregano (not powdered)
- onion powder
- minced garlic (optional)
- 1Start boiling water for pasta and cook according to package directions.
- 2While water is heating, you can proceed with the next step.
- 3In a skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat, and add all of the sliced bell peppers, stirring continuously for about 5 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Set aside to cool.
- 4Drain pasta in cold water for a couple of minutes, until cool.
- 5Place in a medium-sized Tupperware-type container and set aside.
- 6In a small mixing bowl, combine cider vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- 7Then mix in olive oil and vegetable oil.
- 8Add the liquid mixture to the pasta.
- 9Then mix in all of the bell peppers, black olives, pimientos, sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and chopped celery.
- 10Add to taste: dash of onion powder, salt, basil leaf, oregano, and minced garlic (if desired).
- 11Refrigerate for at least one hour. Best if refrigerated over night. Sometimes pasta will absorb the dressing, so you may want to add a little extra vinegar and oil before serving.
- 12Note: You can adjust the amounts of sugar, vinegar, and oil to your desired taste.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Colorful Party Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.7
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 186.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 12.8 g