Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and Yummy. This is actually just an exotic spice infusion, and though called a coffee, there is no coffee in it. From The Complete Middle East Cookbook, Gulf States section, by Tess Mallos.
- Bruise cardamom pods by hitting with a mallet or pound briefly in a mortar.
- Combine the ingredients in a small pan or large long handled coffe pot.
- Stir to desolve the sugar, then leave on low heat for 30 minutes until reduced and thick.
- Serve in Arabic coffee cups*, filling them.
- *Those small cups the size Chinese tea is served inches.
- An exotic brew!
Excellent comforting!! I made 1/4 of the recipe for just myself. I used 1 teaspoon sugar, just a pinch not even a 1/4 teaspoon of saffron, 1 cardamom clove 3/4 cup water. Simmered for 20-30 minutes. I served in an espresso cup making for 2 refills. Thanks for the soothing drink. Made for http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=5341048#5341048 January's Tag Game ~ Saffron ~
Very interesting drink,like no other drink I ever had. More like a tea to me. I used less saffron,I have a very strong Iranian saffron and three teaspoons are enough to cook for a whole wedding! Thanks for sharing.
This was an interesting coffee. No caffine. It did have a strong saffron taste and a very subtle cardamon flavor. I enjoyed this sweet treat. Thank you for sharing your recipe UmmBanit. Made for Comfort Cafe SnowQueen Round 01/10 :)