Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a yummy sweet scone base that is just waiting for your mix ins. Our favorite is triple chocolate chip, but you can let your imagination go. You can even swap the vanilla extract for almond or another extract. I usually divide the dough into two rounds and make two different types of scones for each batch.
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 11 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix flour (start with 3 cups), baking powder, salt, sugar and brown sugar, until well incorporated.
- Cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix into the flour mixture. Keep cutting in the butter(or you can use your hands) until you incorporate the butter into the flour and it looks like it's the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract, and mix to form a dough. If dough is too wet to work with, add a little more flour till you have a moist dough, but it's workable. Add your mix ins and mix till well distributed.
- Cut dough in two (or cut in two before adding the mix-ins if you want two flavors) and shape into 2 rounds, 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar and then cut into 8 wedges. Separate slightly to help cook. Cook for 15 - 17 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through in the middle.
Yummmmmy!!! I just made these and added cinnamon and lots of apples and they are absolutely delicious. I can't stop eating them! Thank you for posting this :-)
These scones are very yummy! They are very moist on the inside with a lovely crunchy crust and a sweet flavour. I liked how easy they were to put together, too. My only problem with them was, that after 10 minutes at 400Â°F they had black bottoms (you can see it on the pic). I dont know what happened there, but thankfully I could remove the bottom so that the overall taste was not affected. I made half the recipe and used only 1/4 cup sugar as I dont like my scones overly sweet. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this yummy recipe with us, C. Taylor!
Very good & perfectly sweet . Added some butterscotch chips and pecans. It is a keeper.