1/2 Photos of Sweet Cocoa-Flax Truffles
I was inspired to make these after one of the practicioners in my holistic nutrition college brought in coconut and flaxseed balls made with maple syrup. Well, I know that dates are a fantastic base for anything rich and sweet anyway, and who DOESN'T like chocolate truffles? The sesame oil and seed coating add a little bit of interest and "lighten up" the rich flavour of the dates and cocoa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine dates and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- 2Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 15-20 minutes, until very soft and falling apart.
- 3Drain, reserving the liquid, and place into a blender with honey, oil and salt. Puree until very very smooth (you are looking for a paste consistency).
- 4Mix together ground flax and cocoa in a small dish and add to the blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth and all one "paste" - add 1-2 tbsp of the saved date water if necessary, but you need to be able to form the mixture into balls.
- 5Place sesame seeds in a shallow bowl or plate and roll small balls of the paste in them to coat.
- 6Place balls on a plate and chill 1-2 hours before enjoying.
- 7Store, covered, in the fridge, or freeze up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Cocoa-Flax Truffles
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.1
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g