I was inspired to make these after one of the practicioners in my holistic nutrition college brought in coconut and flaxseed balls made with maple syrup. Well, I know that dates are a fantastic base for anything rich and sweet anyway, and who DOESN'T like chocolate truffles? The sesame oil and seed coating add a little bit of interest and "lighten up" the rich flavour of the dates and cocoa.
- Combine dates and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 15-20 minutes, until very soft and falling apart.
- Drain, reserving the liquid, and place into a blender with honey, oil and salt. Puree until very very smooth (you are looking for a paste consistency).
- Mix together ground flax and cocoa in a small dish and add to the blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth and all one "paste" - add 1-2 tbsp of the saved date water if necessary, but you need to be able to form the mixture into balls.
- Place sesame seeds in a shallow bowl or plate and roll small balls of the paste in them to coat.
- Place balls on a plate and chill 1-2 hours before enjoying.
- Store, covered, in the fridge, or freeze up to 1 month.