Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful treat for the kids on a winter morning when you want cinnamon rolls but don't want to take the time to make them with yeast dough. Very tasty and tender. I didn't try them with the milk but I sure like them plain. I got this recipe from Grandma's Kitchen treasured desserts cards. I hope you like them as much as my family does.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk, optional
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Stir in vegetable oil.
- Add buttermilk and stir until just blended.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- roll dough into a 15x8" rectangle.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9" round baking pan lightly.
- Spread butter over the dough.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle over butter.
- Roll up rectangle, jelly roll fashion, starting from one long side.
- Pinch seam to seal.
- Cut the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Arrange the slices, cut side up in prepared baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15-20 min.
- Remove from oven.
- Pour milk over the top if desired.
- Serve hot.
I got this recipe card in the mail a few years ago and have tried this recipe several times. Everyone in my house loves it! A few changes I make are to use skim milk in place of buttermilk and to use only 1/4 c butter, 1/3 c sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Those measurements are more than ample!!! Sometimes I also top mine with a simple powdered sugar glaze: 1/2 c powdered sugar and 2-3 teaspoons milk. Just drizzle on top and they are wonderful! My boys just said, "Momma, always make these again!"
I Love this recipe! My mom gave the the recipe card several years ago. I make these almost everytime we have company. It is a special treat for our guests to wake up to the yummy smell of homemade cinnamon rolls. I love the biscuit texture too. So after making these a few times I have made some changes. Instead of buttermilk I use a milk/ lemon juice mixture. (Take 1 Cup of Milk and add 1 Tbs of Lemon Juice to it. Let it sit aside for a few minutes and you are good to go.) I only use 3/4 Cup of it like the recipe calls for. I also make my own cinnamon/sugar mixture as I feel like there isn't enough cinnamon in the original recipe. Sorry I just "eyeball it". I use a little less butter too. No milk over ours either- I use a powdered sugar glaze instead (powdered sugar, a little milk and a splash of vanilla extract)-sorry I don't have the measurements, again I just "eyeball it". Learned that eyeball trick from my mom, it seems to work. :)
I didn't particularly care for these and neither did my children. My husband, however, gobbled them up. Since I made them for him (he's a cinnamon roll freak) I'm going to give this 4 stars. I found the dough to be a little stick and difficult to work with. Rolling it up was a bit of a chore. However, for a quick cinnamon roll, that doesn't require time for rising, this recipe comes in handy.