Recipe by cellogirl2
Taken from Grandma's Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. If you want, add 1/4 tsp. or more of cardamom to the filling of these.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
These were perfect. I used milk mixed with vinegar to sub for the buttermilk and brown sugar for the white in the filling. Mine cooked perfectly in 19 minutes. There were definitely no leftovers after these went on the table. These are easy to make and taste great. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Stir in vegetable oil.
- Add buttermilk and stir just until blended.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until s mooth.
- Roll dough into a 15x8-inch rectangle.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Grease a 9-inch round baking pan lightly.
- Spread butter over the dough.
- Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle over butter.
- Roll up rectangle, jelly roll fashion, starting from one long side.
- Pinch seam to seal.
- Cut the roll into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Arrange the slices, cut side up, in prepared baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Pour milk over the top, if desired.
- Serve hot.