Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Serve chilled as a side dish or in salads or use hot as garnish around roast turkey, ham or pork roast. These delicious apples will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Wash, and peel apples (peeling them is optional).
- Cut each apple into 1/2-inch thick rings.
- Use an apple corer to remove cores or remove seeds and cores after cutting into rings.
- Combine sugar, water, food coloring (if using) and cinnamon sticks in a large skillet.
- Stir over moderately low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Arrange apple rings in syrup.
- Cook, basting frequently with syrup in skillet, until apples are tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove apples from syrup and use as garnish or serve in syrup as a side dish.
- Makes 16 apple rings, serving size is two-apple ring.
OMG !!! So easy, and delicoius. I didn't use the food coloring though. Otherwise recipe was made as stated. Loved the cinnamon flavor here. The sauce was spectacular. Glad I have some leftover for today. I also used winesap apples. Great recipe. Made for PRMR tag.
Oh I liked these on so many levels. They are very easy to make and turn out so pretty. They can be used as a side, salad, garnish, or dessert. Love that they can be made up to two weeks ahead a big plus with the holidays coming up. Made half a recipe, with the peel on option and using the food coloring option. Used Wine Saps Apples which are great as they hold there shape like Granny Smith but have more flavor. Thanks so much for the post.
This side dish/dessert is so awesome in taste and flavor for the fall time of year. I cut the recipe in 1/2 as I was only serving 3. I used two HUGE spy apples. I started with a few 1 inch sized cinnamon sticks, but after deciding they may be too old to get much flavor from I added a full t. of ground cinnamon. Perfect!!! The sauce comes together nicely for a great glaze. A small dish of left-overs are waiting to be topped with a nice scoop of vanilla icecream. MMMMmmmm. i love the fall time of year for just these types of recipes. Made for HolidayTag.