Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like it hot myself.
- 12 green tomatoes
- 1 head cabbage
- 7 medium white onions
- 12 green bell peppers
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 cups pure apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Grind tomatoes, cabbage, onions, green peppers and red peppers into large pan.
- Add salt and let stand overnight.
- Rinse and drain.
- Put into large kettle.
- Add remaining ingredients, heat to boiling.
- Boil for 8 minutes,stirring constantly.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars; seal.
- Let stand at least 2 weeks before opening.
- For hot Chow-Chow, add 10 hot peppers and 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.
Excellent recipe, has a great flavor. A wonderful accompaniment to meats, especially pork. Easy to make with a food processor. I substituted yellow peppers for a couple of the green for even more color. You can adjust the veggies, using less peppers and more cabbage or green tomatoes, for example. Do not use less onions, however. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. Thanks Dave, this is the best!!