Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Foolproof Thai Cooking Cookbook. While there are many commercially prepared chili sauces, nothing beats the taste of a freshly made sauce. Great for dipping all sorts of things— wontons, spring rolls, egg rolls, etc. Can be kept in a fridge for up to a week. Notes: for a thicker sauce, add up to 1-2 tsp of cornstarch to mixture before boiling.
- 6 ounces large red chilies, finely chopped and seeded (leave seeds for a spicier flavor)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or malt vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 fluid ounces water
- Put all the ingredients in a wok or saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to very low, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool.