Sweet, salty, tangy, aromatic, crunchy, hot and spicy. Don't leave off the garnishments; they add to the complexity of flavors.
- 236.59 ml jasmine rice
- 414.03 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml peanut oil or 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 354.88 ml onions, cut into thin half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml salt (if needed)
- 9.85 ml chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- 118.29 ml peanuts or 118.29 ml cashews, coarsely chopped and toasted
- Cook rice per package instructions using 1 3/4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; keep warm.
- In the meantime, in a medium-sized skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, tossing frequently, 15 minutes or until onions are golden. The onions should reduce to about 1 cup. Stir in brown sugar, salt, chili paste, and rice vinegar; cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gently fold rice into onion mixture. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro.
I halved the recipe and used Thai sweet chili sauce for the paste. Delicious! Thanks! Next time, I may add a few veggies to make it a main dish. Made for Please Review My Recipe game.