This is a super simple meal that has wonderful flavour and can either be made for a main meal or as a light meal depending on the amount of rice cooked. As we are trying not to eat too many carbs at the moment and this was for a main meal I served ours with less rice and some sauced bok choy which paired really well. As you can only buy lemon grass in such large quantities here I have found a brand that is already made into a paste. I used to always use fresh but ended up throwing half of it away before I could use it, so I asked at my local Asian grocery store once what she had and she told me about the paste. It tastes just as good but to me it is more concentrated than fresh so I used 1 Teaspoon in this recipe, I would use 1 Tablespoon if using fresh.
Prep Time does not include marinade time
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14.79 ml fresh lemongrass, chopped finely or 4.92 ml concentrated lemongrass paste
- 100 ml sweet chili sauce
- 50 ml lime juice
- 44.37 ml coriander, chopped coarsely
- 4 chicken breasts
- 150-300 g long-grain white rice (150g for a lighter meal 300g for more a main meal)
- 29.58-44.37 ml extra chopped coriander
- 236.59 ml water
- 4.92 ml instant chicken bouillon granules
- 9.85 ml cornflour
- Prep Time does not include marinade time.
- Combine ginger, garlic, lemon grass, sauce, juice and the 3 tablespoons coriander in a bowl, add chicken toss to coat, cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken and reserve marinade.
- Cook chicken in a heated oiled fry pan until browned on both sides and cooked through, slice thickly and serve over rice.
- Boil, steam or microwave rice until tender, drain, stir in extra coriander.
- Meanwhile, blend 2 tablespoons of the water with the cornflour, place remaining water, stock and reserved marinade in a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, stir in cornflour, stir until mixture thickens.
- To Serve: Place thickly sliced chicken on rice, drizzle with the sauce and garnish with coriander leaves if desired.