Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a super simple meal that has wonderful flavour and can either be made for a main meal or as a light meal depending on the amount of rice cooked. As we are trying not to eat too many carbs at the moment and this was for a main meal I served ours with less rice and some sauced bok choy which paired really well. As you can only buy lemon grass in such large quantities here I have found a brand that is already made into a paste. I used to always use fresh but ended up throwing half of it away before I could use it, so I asked at my local Asian grocery store once what she had and she told me about the paste. It tastes just as good but to me it is more concentrated than fresh so I used 1 Teaspoon in this recipe, I would use 1 Tablespoon if using fresh.
Prep Time does not include marinade time
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass, chopped finely or 1 teaspoon concentrated lemongrass paste
- 100 ml sweet chili sauce
- 50 ml lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped coarsely
- 4 chicken breasts
- 150 -300 g long-grain white rice (150g for a lighter meal 300g for more a main meal)
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra chopped coriander
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Prep Time does not include marinade time.
- Combine ginger, garlic, lemon grass, sauce, juice and the 3 tablespoons coriander in a bowl, add chicken toss to coat, cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken and reserve marinade.
- Cook chicken in a heated oiled fry pan until browned on both sides and cooked through, slice thickly and serve over rice.
- Boil, steam or microwave rice until tender, drain, stir in extra coriander.
- Meanwhile, blend 2 tablespoons of the water with the cornflour, place remaining water, stock and reserved marinade in a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, stir in cornflour, stir until mixture thickens.
- To Serve: Place thickly sliced chicken on rice, drizzle with the sauce and garnish with coriander leaves if desired.
Wow, I just love easy recipes like these. I will certainly make it again!
To watch my husband eat, you would have thought today this saved his life from utter starvation. Made for A-NZ#59 Recipe Tag.
I made this for Russ and me tonight using 300g chicken (so half the amount) but I made 2/3 of the marinade and sauce. I used thigh fillets as I prefer them to breasts and, as we are currently in a remote area of Aus, I subbed finely chopped lemon rind for the lemon grass (it's not available and if it was it would be an astronomic price!). This was very quick, very tasty and really low fat (the current nutritional data would be much lower if the breasts used were listed as skinless). We ate this over rice with stir fried veg finished with oyster sauce on the side. It was a lovely dinner thanks TFC.