Recipe by Tallie in Pacific NW
While in search of a vegetarian black bean and rice recipe I happen upon several appealing recipes that included ingredients I found inticing and many that did that not. That being said, I took a little here and there from fellow recipezaar chefs, added a dash of a my own from time to time and created...FLAVA!! This dish is quite versatile. It's sweet, spicy and tart all in one. It's lovely by itself, topped w/pepperjack cheese, tucked into a burrito or thrown in to a crockpot I suppose. Enjoy my friends!
Top Review by Cardinal79
My daughter's Girl Scout troop is made this dish this afternoon as a test for their International Festival next week (their country is Chile). The girls made it and I loved it! They did leave out the spumante and used Minute Rice for convenience. But even with those 2 changes, it is delicious.
- 4 (15 ounce) canss&w black beans
- 2 green bell peppers, 1 halved and seeded-1 diced
- 8 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 2 teaspoons garlic, bottled crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra dry sparkling wine, champagne or 1⁄2 cup spumante
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups instant rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 6 bouillion cubes and allow them to dissolve. Reserve 2 cups of water and 2 bouillion cubes for later use.
- Add the black beans and diced green bell pepper. Bring to a boil. Allow beans and pepper to simmer, covered for 1 hour. Cook and stir throughout.
- Prepare sofrito; by placing halved green bell pepper, quartered onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, black pepper and reserved 2 cups water/bouillion cubes in a blender. Blend on low until the mixture is smooth. Add the sofrito to the the large pot of beans and rice simmering. Bring to a roaring boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook and stir blending flavors for 1 hour.
- Add salt, as needed, sparkling wine (slowly), red wine vinegar, lime juice and sugar. Continue to simmer, covered for 1 hour, allowing spices to blend. Stir on occasion. Mixture will thicken somewhat.
- Bring mixture to boil. Stir in 3 cups instant white rice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir. SERVE!