1/4 Photos of Sweet Chilean Lime Laced Black Beans & Rice - Crock Pot
3 hrs 20 mins
Tallie in Pacific NW's Note:
While in search of a vegetarian black bean and rice recipe I happen upon several appealing recipes that included ingredients I found inticing and many that did that not. That being said, I took a little here and there from fellow recipezaar chefs, added a dash of a my own from time to time and created...FLAVA!! This dish is quite versatile. It's sweet, spicy and tart all in one. It's lovely by itself, topped w/pepperjack cheese, tucked into a burrito or thrown in to a crockpot I suppose. Enjoy my friends!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (15 ounce) cans s&w black beans
- 2 green bell peppers, 1 halved and seeded-1 diced
- 8 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 2 teaspoons garlic, bottled crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra dry sparkling wine, champagne or 1/2 cup spumante
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups instant rice
- 1In a large soup pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 6 bouillion cubes and allow them to dissolve. Reserve 2 cups of water and 2 bouillion cubes for later use.
- 2Add the black beans and diced green bell pepper. Bring to a boil. Allow beans and pepper to simmer, covered for 1 hour. Cook and stir throughout.
- 3Prepare sofrito; by placing halved green bell pepper, quartered onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, black pepper and reserved 2 cups water/bouillion cubes in a blender. Blend on low until the mixture is smooth. Add the sofrito to the the large pot of beans and rice simmering. Bring to a roaring boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook and stir blending flavors for 1 hour.
- 4Add salt, as needed, sparkling wine (slowly), red wine vinegar, lime juice and sugar. Continue to simmer, covered for 1 hour, allowing spices to blend. Stir on occasion. Mixture will thicken somewhat.
- 5Bring mixture to boil. Stir in 3 cups instant white rice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir. SERVE!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Chilean Lime Laced Black Beans & Rice - Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.0
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 13.7 g