Recipe by Mrs Goodall
This recipe comes from a Tom Douglas cookbook. The recipe calls for a red jalapeno, which is just a ripe version of a green jalapeno, if you can't find red, use green. You can make sauce a day ahead and keep covered in the fridge overnight, but don't add the cucumber until right before you serve. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (plus one teaspoon)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, pour into a small bowl, and cool.
- Stir in the lime juice, cucumber, jalapeno, and sambal oelek and season to taste with salt.