Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chock-full of chickpeas, this colourful stew is mildly spicy and divinely easy. Just throw it all in the oven, stir once, and dinner's ready in an hour! It's my slight adaption to Dreena Burton's recipe in "Vive Le Vegan!"(awesome cookbook!)
- 3 cups low-sodium chickpeas (I use freshly-cooked ones, heavenly, but canned would be fine)
- 7 ounces coconut milk, with 6 oz water (better yet, use 1 can fat-reduced coconut milk)
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped or 1 cup an additional 3/4 cup celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, diced (peel if you want, but I love it with skin on)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon mild curry paste (see note)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Note about curry paste: The more you use of course, the hotter it will be. It depends on the brand really. When using my favorite, Patak's, I use the smaller amount. Or if I have another kind such as Sharwood's, I use more.
- Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Heat oven to 300 or 325 (you know your oven best!)Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then stir, cover again and bake another 30-35 minutes.
- I like to serve this with steamed greens, especially collards, either on the side with a dressing, or stirred right into the stew! They complement the curry flavors beautifully. I've never had the dilemma of too much left-over, but I'm sure it would freeze well.
FANTASTIC curry in a hurry, true! OK, so takes an hour too! Great combination, like last reviewer, loved the crunch, Could eat this for breakkie, dinner or lunch! THANKS!
This is GREAT! I used a 13.5 oz can of regular coconut milk and Patak's curry paste. I also added salt. This was flavorful, colorful and full of nutrition! I liked the crunch of the celery. Freddy Cat says thanks for another WONDERFUL VEGAN recipe! Made for the Holiday tag game.