Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Brown sugar, butter and cinnamon melt into sweet cherries baked under a fine-crumbled, tender sour cream butter cake. You can use dark red cherries, golden Ranier or Royal Anns, or a mixture. This is especially delicious when warm.
Top Review by strawberrybird
This just came out of the oven and mmmmmm so yummy. As another review said, this is a great way to use up fresh cherries without making pie. I love pie, but after 2 pies and cherry ice cream, I wanted a change. This fit the bill perfectly. I did omit the whipped topping, as I'm not fond of the stuff, but otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. Thanks. This is a definite keeper!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 1 1/4 lb)
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease 11 x 7 inch glass baking dish. Microwave 1/4 cup butter in medium microwave-safe bowl on high 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar; microwave 30 to 60 seconds or until sugar is melted and mixture is thick and bubbly. Stir in cinnamon. Pour over bottom of baking dish; top with cherries in single layer.
- Whisk flour, nutmeg, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and almond extract in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar, increase speed to medium-high; beat 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with sour cream just until smooth, beginning and ending with flour mixture. (Batter will be thick.) Spoon and gently spread batter over cherries.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake springs back when gently pressed.
- Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Run thin knife around edge of cake to release from pan. Cover with rimmed platter, invert cake on platter. (If any cherries have stuck to pan, place them back on cake.).
- Beat all whipped cream ingredients in medium bowl at medium-high speed until firm but not stiff peaks form. Serve cake warm with whipped cream.