Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Use fresh sweet cherries, if possible. This is so delicious!!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk, scalded,do not boil (I used 2%)
- 1 lb fresh sweet cherries, pitted or 1 (16 1/2 ounce) canpitted sweet cherries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make Sour Cream Pastry.
- Combine flour and 1/2 tsp.
- sugar in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in sour cream until dough holds together.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently 2 or 3 times.
- Divide dough in half and freeze half for another use.
- This light pastry may be used for any pie.
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to fit a 10-inch flan pan.
- Flute edges high.
- Cut aluminum foil to fit center of pastry shell and then fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and CAREFULLY remove the weights and foil from the pastry shell.
- Set aside.
- Re-set oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar and whipping cream with a wire whisk.
- Beating constantly, add scalded milk until all is blended well.
- Arrange cherries in bottom of pastry shell; pour custard over cherries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the outside edge comes out clean.
- Center will set as custard cools.
- Cool completely.
- Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.