Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This soup is perfect for an appetizer or light dessert.
- 5 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries, divided
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 whole cherries
- bring 4 cups pitted cherries, cherry juice, port, sugar, cinnamon stick and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, and puree until smooth in a blender or food processor.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1/2 cup soup in a small bowl. Return mixture to soup, and whisk to combine. Chill 3 hours or overnight.
- Coarsely chop remaining pitted cherries. Ladle soup in bowls with chopped cherries. Garnish each with 1 whole cherry and serve.
- For vegetarian, use a vegetarian port such as Crusted.