Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Vegetarian Times July/August 2007
- 5 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries, divided
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 whole cherries (garnish)
- Bring 4 cups cherries, juice, port, sugar, cinnamon stick and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and puree until smooth.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1/2 cup soup in small bowl. Return mixture to soup, and whisk to combine.
- Chill 3 hours, or overnight.
- Coursely chop remaining pitted cherries. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped cherries. Garnish with a whole cherry in each bowl.
- For Vegetarian/vegan option please be sure your Port wine is Vegetarian/vegan.