Recipe by Gtahavefaith
I go sweet and tart cherry picking in Door County every year - sometimes I never know what to do with all the cherries. This recipe is wonderful.
- 24 cups sweet cherries (pitted, washed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cherries in stock pot with sugar and water simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Use a slotted sppon, remove cherries and set aside.
- Bring the juice to a boil, dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbls water and stir into boiling juice stirring as sauce thickens. Add tapioca.
- Add salt, lemon juice, and rind for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Return cherries to syrup and cook for 5 minutes.
- Can be stored in frig for up to 2 weeks.
- I freeze using foodsaver - just get air out and seal the bag without the suction option.
- Makes approx 16 cups of sauce.