Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light Magazine - Delicious and appealing to the eye
Make and share this Sweet Cherry Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
- 6 cups pitted sweet bing cherries
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Combine tapioca, pitted cherries, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in large bowl. Toss well. Let cherry mixture stand 30 minutes. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll 1 (9-inch) dough portion into an 11-inch circle. Fit dough into 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edge of plate.
- Spoon cherry mixture and any remaining liquid into dough.
- Roll remaining (9-inch) dough portion into 12-inch circle. Cut dough into 12 (1-inch wide) strips. Arrange in lattice pattern over cherry mixture. Fold edges under bottom dough and crimp.
- Combine 2 TBS water and egg white in small bowl. Brush mixture over dough on top of pie. Sprinkle dough with 2 TBS turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Shield edges of piecrust with foil. Continue baking for 40 minutes or until piecrust is golden brown and filling is thick and bubbly.
- Cool in pie pan for 45 minutes on wire rack before cutting.
I've never been a fan of cherry pie, but I had a LOT of cherries to use up, and my husband wanted a cherry pie. So I found this one to try. I'm SOOO glad I did! It was GREAT! I didn't have almond extract, so I had to use vanilla. But it still turned out GREAT! I can now say I like cherry pie.