Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The cherry topping and dollop of yogurt make each bite a special treat.
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh pitted sweet cherries or 4 cups frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- vanilla yogurt
- Place the bread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, syrup, sugar, orange peel and salt. Pour over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the cherries, orange juice and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer bread slices to another greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Discard any remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over French toast; drizzle with yogurt.
Made for PAC, Spring 07 ~ What a great way to make French toast! I like the combination of flavors here, & I doubled the amount of orange zest in the bread coating, then added a bit of zest on top of everything else at the end! It's not something I'd want to make every day or even every week, but it IS a nice change of pace, especially when you're interested in a simple but elegant breakfast! Thanks for the great recipe!